This recipe is one of the most requested from our channel, so we thought it was about time we made it! We love the sweet and sourness of this salad and the colour it brings to the plate. Great for a side dish to any meal, the beetroot’s colour will really bring a pop of colour to your table.
Our Moroccan beet salad is bursting with fresh flavors. We only use fresh herbs and spices that you can toast up before making the salad.
We also put a fresh, modern spin on the recipe by using our Instant Pot. Not only does the pot produce great flavor, it also cuts down a lot on the time it takes to cook the beets to perfection.
When you want to make the best Moroccan beet salad, you’ll need:
- Beets – You’ll need to remove the greens and trim the stem so only a little bit is left.
- Red onion – You could use a white onion instead.
- Lemon juice – We use fresh lemon juice for the flavor, but bottled could work.
- Herbs and seasonings – For flavoring, you’ll need cumin seeds, salt, fresh mint, and flat-leaf parsley or cilantro.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – You could use another light oil if you don’t have this available.
- First, wash the beets and trim off both the root and the leafy top part.
- Next, pour one cup of water into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Place the prepared beets into a steamer basket and then place them inside the Instant Pot. If you don’t have a basket, you can place a trivet inside and then place the beets on top of that.
- Close the lid, turn the pressure valve to Sealing, and then cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes.
- Let the pot release pressure naturally for 10 minutes and then carefully release all remaining pressure by turning the valve to venting.
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid and allow the cooked beets to cool before trying to peel. When they’re cool, the peel will just slide off with minimal effort.
- As the beets cook and cool, fill a small bowl with cold water and add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Next, add the sliced red onions and soak them as the beets cook. The salt bath will help reduce their edge and make them a bit sweeter.
- Stir together the lemon juice, toasted cumin seeds powder, salt, and olive oil and a small bowl and then let the mixture stand while the beets finish cooking.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel them by rubbing the skin off with a paper towel. You should also discard the stem and root ends before cutting them into 1.5 cm-wide wedges.
- Next, toss the warm beets with the dressing, add the drained red onion, and then stir everything together until well combined. Garnish with the fresh mint and parsley or cilantro.
- Finally, serve warm or at room temperature with your favorite entrees and other side dishes.
When making this fresh tasting salad, keep these tips and tricks in mind:
- Don’t try to peel the beets before cooking them because it is so much easier to peel them once they are cooked.
- If you can, use fresh lemon juice and toast your own cumin seeds.
- When cutting the beets, try to make them as uniform as possible.
Beets, like all veggies, are a healthy vegetable that you can feel good feeding your family. They are full of fiber, nitrates (which are good for your heart), and vitamins.
The lemon juice is also high in vitamin C and can be very cleansing for your body.